The UK e cigarette space has now developed into an interesting place where there is a two tier structure (at least 2!). The best vape mods and the best smaller scale e cigarettes. We look at both sides of the vaping divide to help guide you to getting your ideal vape.
The best box mods for sub ohm vaping for 2021
On one side you have the standard e cigarette and vaping devices often cigarette like – with some vaporizers coming in at a larger scale to offer better battery life and vapour. Then on the other hand a niche market, the box mod combined with sub ohm vaping has been developing fast and now has wheels. This newer market is the sub ohm vaping space where vapers look to vape with substantially increased vapour production with “e cigarettes” that look more the shape of a box – hence box mod. Here we review the best box mod UK brands for vaping see lower for our choice mods. These vaping devices are generally more complex then their e cig counterparts and often require a little knowledge of volts, amps and watts (ie Ohms Law). Then there are the coils and wicks etc that require user input to build the coil or atomizer (RDA and RBA – Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer and Rebuildable Atomizer). Knowledge of the compatibility of the tank (that holds the e liquid) and the box mod also needs consideration. More recently however some box mod manufacturers like Kangertech have offered pre-built options for those who want the advantages of box mods without having to do the fiddly bits which can get a bit messy. The Aspire Cleito Pro with Aspire Mesh coil option is probably the most popular tank and it certainly facilitates huge clouds of vapour!
Advantages and Disadvantages of box mod and vape mod devices
- For some it can be fun to be involved with sub ohm vaping as more like a hobby than a habit. There are many aspects to it that are actually quite interesting if you are a little bit of a techy. There are many combinations of coils and wicks that can be tested for output.
- The vapour production when vaping sub ohm box mod can be significant, far beyond that experienced by smoking a cigarette. See our take on sub ohm vaping at these levels of vapour production – is sub ohm vaping dangerous, what are there risks?
- For a specific e liquid the flavour can be more intense as you are inhaling a much higher concentration of vapour.
Some Disadvantages of Box Mod Sub Ohm Devices
- Probably the most significant disadvantage comes down to running cost – apart from all the bits and bobs associated with the box mod that need putting together the highest cost will be the ongoing running costs. ie. That of buying the e liquid that is being consumed whilst vaping. In a way those huge clouds you are vaping out are simply exhaust fumes that you have just paid for. The sub ohm box mod device obviously burns considerably higher rates of e liquid, than say a vape pen, simply because they create more vapour. So much so that it is recommended when vaping that vapers only use lower level nicotine strength e liquids with a box mod for sub ohm vaping (typically 3-6 mg whereas generally with e cigarettes users are using 12-24 mg nicotine strength). You do not want a nicotine overdose!
- Many will see the process of “wicking” and re-wicking and coil building a pain – when some of the box mod parts needs replacing some could see the taking apart of the device and re-wiring the coil and messing around with wicks etc. as just a step too far – “I just want to vape!!”
- These vaping devices require a higher levels of maintenance and cleaning than their e cigarette counterparts which are often much simpler devices with pre-filled e liquid. Related to this there is also a higher risk of leaking.
- Just too much vapour for many people.
- The size of the mod device – if you feel more comfortable with a smaller e-cig device this is not for you.
- Shouldn’t vaping just be about getting enough nicotine so you don’t have to smoke? If so there are much easier, cheaper and simpler options that will satisfy your nicotine craving.
This all leads me to say that generally for most of us who simply want to stop smoking these sub ohm devices are a step to far. Buying a quality small scale vape pen or proper vaporizer from a reputable company will give you a simpler and easier way to take up vaping in order to stop or reduce the smoking habit. Having said that, there will be many who like the “sport” of vaping massive vapour clouds and/or getting involved with the building process.
E-Liquid for Sub Ohm Vaping & your Box Mod
What you vape – your e-juice – is as important as what box mod you choose, in fact more so as it is the e liquid that you will be ingesting. For “cloud chasers” wanting maximum vapour when vaping, it is well known that VG e liquid offers maximum vapour output but generally a compromise is made so that e liquid is usually a 70/30 VG:PG mix ratio or something similar. This compromise is made because in the past VG e liquid was more viscous so if used at 100% it would clog up your tank. This has now been overcome by a number of e liquid manufacturers so that some VG e liquids have been formulated to be used in your sub ohm device without having to compromise – yes you can use 100% VG e liquid! The other question is what is in e liquids? With limited regulation many e liquids do not give full ingredients, there is no compelling reason for full disclosure of ingredients. You need to ensure that your e liquid is made in a laboratory and that it is fully tested and that all ingredients are listed and are of pharmaceutical grade. One company that specialises in sourcing high quality laboratory tested e liquid (both 100% VG e liquid and PG/VG mixes) with certified ingredients is Pure e-Liquids.com
Choosing the best Sub Ohm Box Mod or Vape Mod UK.
There are many niche websites that go into phenomenal details about sub ohm vaping, detailing the hundreds of devices, coils, batteries and reteaching Ohms Law. This site is not one of those sites! Here we want to ensure you get the best quality box mod UK brand that is well made and is considered one of the best box mods available. Also that you can save time and find an excellent candidate without having to gen up on Ohms law. There are more and more sub ohm box mods being developed but the core technology is in place, high variable wattage, proper quality sub ohm resistance tank and air intake adjustment on a quality box mod should be the main criteria. Check out the best vape mod reviews here
Temperature Control Sub Ohm Box Mod (TC mods)
What scale you use to vary the temperature whether watts or degrees, as in temperature control box mods does not make a difference to the core product and your vapour production. Neither does having the ability to interface with your phone, ipad or PC with DNA 200 – it is all just unnecessary add-ons that generally increase price and complication. There will be a significant number of sub ohm box mods coming to market over time, each with a gimmick or two to try steal a bit of the sub ohm vaping market but a solid, simple, small proper sub box mod device like the Vapour2 Trinity will be plenty for the vast majority of vapers. We have reviewed and used many e cigarettes, vaporizers and box mods and have the time to look through all the UK vape review sites and assess the pros and cons of the many vaping devices being offered. There is one box mod that stands out because of its quality and versatility offering a lot of simple user options, including sub ohm functions that will help you discover sub ohm vaping at it’s very best.
Finding the best Box Mod UK Brand:- The criteria
- A known and respected manufacturer of quality e cigarette & sub vaping devices as reviewed by the best vape review sites.
- Established as one of the best vaping devices in its class at reasonable cost.
- A vaping device that offers vapers the opportunity to delve into building their device if they want to.
- A vaping device that offers vapers pre-built options should the user NOT want to get involved with the nitty-gritty of building their own sub ohm atomizer BUT does want to get involved with sub-ohm vaping.
- Safety protection – eg short circuit and overheating protection
- Huge vapour production capabilities.
Welcome to the Best Box mods for sub ohm vaping.
#1 Innokin Cool Fire IV 70W – It’s Simple
This is one of the best vape mods for those wanting exceptional performance combined with ease of use. It has also withstood the test of time and has been a best seller for over 12 months now – 12 months is a long time in “vape world – things change quickly!) The new Zenith D22 Tank turns this device into a pretty extreme vape too. It is a straight forward device that hides complex technology within an easy to use user interface. Do not confuse this with the older less powerful Cool Fire 40 Watt old version.
#2 Best Vape Mod UK Brand
Trinity By Vapour2 – V2/Vapour2
The Trinity is not dissimilar to the Subox Mini in that it delivers phenomenal vapour and is very easy to use. This straightforward and very compact (is really is small and neat) and extremely solid mod makes the Trinity kit the perfect choice for new vapers starting out or more advanced vapers looking for an easy to use vape mod that is not too large or awkward. See the Trinity Vapour2 page for full details.
#1 Best “Advanced” Vape Mod
If you are looking for a modern advanced vape mod and are a bit of a vape hobbyist then this is the one for you. The Smok Rigel is not far behind though! Sporting TFT screen, mini-mouse joystick navigation and mesh coils. The Innokin Proton is set to become a future classic. Check out our full Innokin Proton user guide.
#2 The Kangertech Subox Mini 2.0
The Image shows the Kanger Subox Mini which contains both standard and sub ohm coils for vapers who just want huge vapour in a relatively straight forward simple device for vaping!
The vast majority of vapers would find either the Subox Mini or Innokin Cool Fire 4 the best vapes, those who want a really advanced and more technical vape then either the Smok Alien or Proton Plex are the two vape mods to go for.