When SMOK released the first Nord pod system in 2018, it was intended to be the perfect answer for anyone who enjoyed the convenience and portability of pod systems but wanted something with a little more power and flexibility. Using replaceable coils instead of the permanent built-in coils used by most pod systems, the SMOK Nord gave users the performance they’d expect from the best vape mods in an impressively sleek and pocketable package. It was a major hit, and the Nord series is now in its fifth generation.
Along with releasing a total of five devices in the main Nord series, SMOK has also developed a number of spinoff devices. One of those spinoffs – the SMOK Nord C – is the device we’re reviewing today. The Nord C has a modernised design that’s arguably even nicer than that of the Nord 5, and we think you’re going to love it if you’re a Nord fan and haven’t purchased a new device in a while.
How Much Does the SMOK Nord C Cost?
The SMOK Nord C kit is available for an extremely affordable £22.95. Purchased through our link, you’ll enjoy free shipping on orders over £39.99 and same-day dispatch on orders placed before 4 PM. The kit includes:
- SMOK Nord C device
- SMOK Nord C pod
- SMOK RPM 2 0.16-ohm coil (provides bigger vapour clouds)
- SMOK RPM 2 0.6-ohm coil (provides a smoother vaping experience)
- USB-C charging cable
- Instruction manual
The SMOK Nord C uses SMOK RPM 2 coils. Although you can generally expect a coil to last several days before it requires replacement, we suggest adding a box or two of replacement coils to your order to ensure that you’ll have some extra coils available in case one burns out unexpectedly. SMOK RPM 2 coils cost £12.95 per box of five.
SMOK Nord C: Specifications and Features
Although the SMOK Nord C doesn’t differ greatly from other recent Nord devices except in its appearance, it’s still worthwhile to understand the basic specifications and features of the Nord C in case you want to compare it to another product in the Nord series.
- Device Type: Refillable pod-based system with replaceable coil
- Battery Capacity: 1,800 mAh
- Operating Power: 5-50 watts
- Charging Port: USB-C, 1.5 amps; battery charges in a little over an hour
- Display: 0.69-inch OLED
- Pod Capacity: 2.0 ml
- Coil Resistance: 0.16, 0.23, 0.25 or 0.6 ohm
- Firing Style: Button-based firing
- Supported Vaping Modes: Wattage-based vaping
- The Nord C has an upscale design that represents a major departure from the Nord devices of the past. Although the devices in the main Nord series look very similar to one another, the Nord C has a more rugged and urban look. It also features several very appealing colour options.
- The Nord C has an innovative dual airflow system that allows plenty of air to flow through the device. Using the built-in airflow control tab, you can configure the Nord C to provide anything from a cigarette-like mouth-to-lung draw to a restricted direct-to-lung hit.
- The Nord C has fully adjustable wattage and offers several different coil options, giving you the ability to fully customise your experience.
- The Nord C pod fills from the top, which means that you can refill the pod without removing it from the device. The SMOK Nord 5, in comparison, has a side-filling pod. You need to remove the Nord 5 pod in order to fill it.
What Coils Work with the SMOK Nord C?
The SMOK Nord C works with SMOK RPM 2 coils. Four coils are available in all.
- 0.16-ohm mesh coil (included with kit): recommended for 25-50 watts.
- 0.23-ohm mesh coil: recommended for 20-45 watts.
- 0.25-ohm dual coil: recommended for 30-50 watts.
- 0.60-ohm dual coil (included with kit): recommended for 12-25 watts.
How to Use the SMOK Nord C
We’ll continue this SMOK Nord C review with a brief instruction manual that will explain the basics of using this device. If you’ve used another device in the SMOK Nord series, you’re likely to feel at home with the Nord C right away. If you haven’t used a Nord device before, we’ll walk you through it.
How to Charge the SMOK Nord C
Before you begin using the SMOK Nord C, you should charge the device by connecting it to your computer using the included USB-C charging cable. When you connect the Nord C to a power source, the screen turns on and shows an animated battery indicator. When the indicator is full, the device is fully charged. If you connect the Nord C to a device capable of outputting power at 1.5 amps, the device will charge from a fully dead state in a little over an hour.
How to Fill the SMOK Nord C
The major feature that separates the SMOK Nord C from other devices in the Nord series is the fact that you can refill the pod without removing it from the device. To open the Nord C pod, wiggle the mouthpiece gently until it comes loose. Place the tip of an e-liquid bottle in the filling port, which is slightly offset from the pod’s centre air channel. Add e-liquid until the level is almost at the top of the pod and replace the mouthpiece.
When you look at the SMOK Nord C pod from the side, you’ll notice that the coil has a “MIN” line etched into it. To help prevent the coil from burning out prematurely, you should always refill the Nord C pod when the level of e-liquid is below that line.
How to Vape with the SMOK Nord C
To vape with the SMOK Nord C, simply puff on the device while holding the fire button. Use the two adjustment buttons next to the screen to change the device’s wattage. Press the fire button five times to turn the Nord C on and off.
How to Replace the SMOK Nord C Coil
To replace the SMOK Nord C coil, wait until the pod is empty and remove it from the device. You’ll see the base of the coil on the underside of the pod. Pull the old coil out and push the new coil in. After filling the pod, wait at least five minutes before vaping. If you frequently experience burnt flavours with new coils, you can try priming your coils before installing them. To prime a coil, put some e-liquid on all of the coil’s exposed wick openings before installing the coil. This helps to ensure that when you use the coil, it’ll be completely saturated with vape juice.
How to Fix Problems with the SMOK Nord C
The SMOK Nord series is a tried-and-true vaping platform that’s been around for several years and has been regularly refined with feedback from the vaping community. It’s very rare to experience issues with SMOK Nord devices – but if your SMOK Nord C has a problem, you’ll find some troubleshooting tips here.
SMOK Nord C Not Charging
If your SMOK Nord C doesn’t display a battery indicator on the screen when you connect the charging cable, the device isn’t charging. Here’s what you should do if you can’t charge your SMOK Nord C.
- Try charging the Nord C with a different USB cable. USB cables wear out quickly, so this will resolve the majority of the charging issues that you might face with any vaping device.
- Connect the Nord C to your computer. A wall adapter – particularly one designed to charge a phone or tablet – may supply a current that’s incompatible with the Nord C.
- Clean the Nord C’s charging port with a toothpick.
SMOK Nord C Not Hitting
If your SMOK Nord C isn’t hitting when you press the fire button, start by pressing the button five times to confirm that the device is on. If nothing happens when you press the fire button, charge the device – and if the Nord C doesn’t charge, refer to the section above to troubleshoot that issue.
If the Nord C still isn’t firing, remove the pod and check for a leak. If vape juice is in the chamber at the top of the Nord C, dry it completely and try vaping again. If you’re still unable to vape, install a new coil.
SMOK Nord C Leaking
One of the major benefits of the SMOK Nord C compared to other Nord devices is that the top-filling pod is much less susceptible to leaking. If your Nord C does leak, follow these three steps to prevent it from happening in the future.
- Don’t overfill the pod. Always leave a little room at the top when refilling.
- Always use gentle air pressure when vaping with the SMOK Nord C. If you puff too firmly, you’ll flood the coil.
- Make sure that the coil is pushed all the way into the bottom of the pod.
SMOK Nord C Review: Final Thoughts
The SMOK Nord C continues SMOK’s tradition of progressive iteration with each new device in the Nord series. It looks dramatically different from other Nord devices, which will be a plus for you if you skipped the Nord 5 because it looked too much like the Nord 4. In terms of technical features, though, the only truly new thing that the Nord C brings to the table is a top-filling pod that can be refilled while it’s still installed. That’s a great feature, but it might not be enough on its own to justify buying the device if you’re already using a Nord system that was released recently. If you’re using a Nord 4 or Nord 5 and are happy with it, there’s no reason to upgrade to the Nord C because you won’t find any revolutionary new features here. If you’re already in the market for a new pod system, though, you’ll probably love the Nord C.
- New design represents a departure for the Nord series
- Top-filling pod can be refilled while it’s in the device
- Not a necessary purchase if you’re already using a recent Nord device