Voom Pod Mod£5.95
Value for Money10.0/10
Ease of Use10.0/10
- Great looking device with several available colours
- Incredible selection of 32 flavours
- Cigarette-like airflow characteristics
- Costs half as much as disposables
- Doesn't include a charging cable
- Pods aren't translucent
The best disposable vapes are some of the most popular vaping devices on the market – but as convenient and satisfying as they are, they also have a number of shortcomings. Because legal regulations limit the capacity of any pre-filled vaping product with nicotine to a maximum of 2 ml, a disposable vape only lasts about two or three days at the most before it runs out of e-liquid – and at that point, you have to discard the entire device. That’s very wasteful, and it’s also an expensive way to vape in the long run. It’s much better for your bank balance to use a rechargeable vape, and the Voom Pod Mod is designed to be exactly what you’re looking for.
Pre-filled pod systems have been around for the better part of the last decade, but they haven’t been quite as popular as disposables in recent years. That’s partially because pre-filled pod systems are often seen as less stylish than the disposable options and partially because pre-filled pod systems often don’t have particularly large flavour selections. The Voom Pod Mod has an attractive mini-box design that makes it look like the most popular disposable vapes, and it has a massive assortment of 32 pre-filled pod flavours that should provide more than enough variety to please just about anyone. In this review, we’ll explain how Voom’s new pod system measures up.
How Much Does the Voom Pod Mod Cost?
The Voom Pod Mod costs just £5.95, which is about the same as most disposable vapes. The starter kit is available in six different colour and flavour combinations, and it includes one pre-filled pod. This aggressive price structure should convince many users of disposable vapes to give Voom’s new device a try. Packs of Voom Pod Mod pods include two pods each and cost £4.95. Each pack of two pods lasts up to 1,200 puffs, so you can potentially enjoy very significant savings with this device compared to using disposables.
Voom Pod Mod: Specifications and Features
Now that you have a better idea of what the Voom Pod Mod is, we’ll continue our review by discussing this device’s basic specifications as well as the features that make it unique.
- Device Type: Pod-system with pre-filled disposable pods
- Number of Flavours: 32 at the time of writing
- Battery Capacity: 500 mAh
- Operating Power: 7.9 watts
- Charging Port: USB-C 1A; charging time of about 30-60 minutes
- Pod Capacity: 2.0 ml; lasts up to 600 puffs
- Nicotine Strength: 20 mg/ml
- Pod Resistance: 1.2-ohm mesh coil
- Firing Style: Automatic puff-activated firing
- The Voom Pod Mod uses a mesh coil to provide instant vapour with rich flavour saturation. Although mesh coils are the standard for refillable vaping devices, they aren’t common in pre-filled pod systems. The mesh coil allows the Voom Pod Mod to provide much better performance compared to most devices with pre-filled pods.
- The Voom Pod Mod has an unusually wide assortment of flavours for a pre-filled pod system. With 32 flavours in all, you’re likely to be very happy no matter how much you crave variety.
- The Voom Pod Mod has an extremely discreet and pocketable design. It’s intended to be about the same size as a disposable vape, and it’s light enough to carry around your neck with the included lanyard. You can easily close your entire hand around the device for discreet vaping.
How to Use the Voom Pod Mod
Although the Voom Pod Mod is a very user-friendly device, one shortcoming of the kit is that the included instruction manual doesn’t do the greatest job of explaining the device’s functions. We’ll correct that here with a brief manual explaining how to use this pod vaping system.
How to Charge the Voom Pod Mod
The Voom Pod Mod kit sadly doesn’t include a charging cable – a decision that helps to keep the price down – but you can charge it with any USB-C cable capable of delivering power. Connect the Voom device to your computer or to a five-volt, one-amp wall adapter. When you do this, the light on the bottom of the device should illuminate red. When the light turns off, the Voom device is fully charged. When the battery is dead, the light will blink when you puff on the device. You’ll generally find that the Voom battery provides a more than sufficient charge to drain a full pod.
How to Vape with the Voom Pod Mod
To use the Voom Pod Mod, you’ll need to start by preparing a pod. Remove a pod from its package. The pod has a cap on the bottom and a plug in the mouthpiece; you’ll need to remove and discard both of those. Insert the pod into the chamber at the top of the Voom device. The pod and chamber are magnetic. The magnets keep the pod securely installed and also prevent it from being oriented incorrectly. To vape, just puff on the pod’s mouthpiece as if you were smoking a cigarette. The Voom Pod Mod is designed to have the same tight airflow characteristics as a conventional cigarette, ensuring a satisfying experience.
How Long Do Voom Pods Last?
The pods for the Voom Pod Mod last up to 600 puffs each. To test the capacity of its pods, Voom uses an automatic smoking machine calibrated for a puff length of one second. If your average puff length is longer than that, you’ll get fewer than 600 puffs out of the pods. Most people will find, though, that a full Voom pod includes enough e-liquid for about one to two days of use.
One drawback in the design of the Voom Pod Mod is that the pods are opaque, which makes it difficult to tell how much vape juice remains in the pod. When the level of e-liquid is low, though, you’ll notice that the flavour quality will drop sharply. The pod may also begin to produce smaller clouds, even when the battery is charged. When a pod reaches this point, you should make sure that you have a spare available.
How to Fix Problems with the Voom Pod Mod
The instruction manual included with the Voom Pod Mod is a bit on the short side, which can potentially make it hard for you to know what to do if your device isn’t working. In this section of our review, we’ll help you figure things out. Here are some steps that you can use to fix the most common problems that you might experience with Voom’s pod system.
Voom Pod Mod Not Charging
When you connect the Voom Pod Mod to a power source, the light on the bottom of the device should illuminate red. If that doesn’t happen – and you’re certain that the device isn’t fully charged already, which would cause the light to turn off – here’s what you should do.
- Try charging the Voom device with a different USB cable. Some USB-C cables aren’t certified for power delivery and may not work to charge the Voom Pod Mod.
- Make sure that you’re connecting the Voom device to a compatible power source. If you’re using a mains adapter, it should charge the device at five volts with a current of one amp or lower. If you don’t have a compatible charger, charge the device with your computer.
- Clean the charging port on the bottom of the Voom device with a toothpick to remove dust and lint.
Voom Pod Mod Not Hitting
If the Voom Pod Mod doesn’t generate vapour when you puff on it, you should first confirm that the battery is charged. Follow the steps above if the red light doesn’t illuminate when you connect the Voom device to a power source. If the battery is charged, follow these steps to fix a Voom Pod Mod that isn’t hitting.
- Remove the pod from the chamber and check for a leak. If you find moisture in the chamber, dry it completely with a paper towel or cotton swab.
- Make sure that the contacts in the chamber and at the bottom of the pod are completely clean. A pencil eraser usually works well for removing corrosion.
- Replace the pod. If the new pod works, discard the faulty pod.
Voom Pod Mod Review: Final Thoughts
If you’re tired of spending a fortune on disposable vapes that require replacement every couple of days, we think you’ll love the Voom Pod Mod. It’s got a wide enough assortment of flavours to please just about anyone, and the device’s build quality is excellent – especially for a product in its price range. At only £5.95, the Voom starter kit costs about the same as a disposable vape. The pods, meanwhile, are just £4.95 per two-pack – so switching from disposables to the Voom Pod Mod can potentially cut your vaping expenses in half. It’s hard to think of a better value proposition than that.
- Devices look nice and are available in several different colours
- Enormous flavour selection offers something for everyone
- Tight airflow provides a perfect mouth-to-lung inhale
- Much more affordable than disposable vapes and better for the environment
- Starter kit doesn’t include a charging cable
- Pods are opaque, making it difficult to tell how much e-liquid is left