Freemax Galex Pro£19.95
Value for Money10.0/10
Ease of Use9.5/10
- Made by the inventor of mesh coil tanks
- Excellent coil durability
- Has unique features for leak prevention
- Puff counter automatically resets itself overnight
- Not for cloud chasers
- Doesn't have adjustable airflow
Founded in 2013, Freemax is one of the oldest manufacturers of vaping products still in operation. For the first several years of the company’s existence, though, Freemax primarily operated as a white-label manufacturer for other brands that would then put their logos on the finished products.
That all changed when Freemax developed the world’s first mesh coil tank in 2017. That tank was the Fireluke Mesh. It was an instant hit because it was immediately obvious that mesh coils were superior to traditional wire-based coils in every way. The Fireluke Mesh catapulted Freemax to worldwide fame.
Until now, though, Freemax’s entries into the world of pod vapes have only been tentative. Mostly, the company has focused on vape mods and sub-ohm tanks. While the company certainly makes some of the best vapes on the market, Freemax’s many fans have long waited for the famed manufacturer to adapt its industry-transforming technology for the world of pod vapes.
The wait is finally over.
The Freemax Galex Pro is a sleek and pocketable pod vape that’s simple enough for a beginner but also has the flavour quality and vapour production to please even the pickiest expert – and that statement only begins to scratch the surface of what this device offers.
The Galex Pro also has a frankly revolutionary new feature that’s so obvious in hindsight that you’ll wonder why every vape mod doesn’t have it already.
To find out what that feature is, though, you’ll have to read this review.
How Much Does the Freemax Galex Pro Cost?
The Freemax Galex Pro kit costs £19.95 and includes same-day dispatch if purchased through our link before 4 PM on a weekday. In addition, shipping is free if your order total is over £39.99. The Galex Pro kit includes the device, one pod, two replacement coils, a USB-C charging cable and an instruction manual. Freemax Galex pods cost £10.99 per five-pack. We suggest adding at least one pack of pods to your cart when buying this device because the life of the two included pods may vary depending on how you vape. Replacement Galex pods are also available and cost £5.99 for pack of two. Extra pods might be useful if you enjoy changing flavours frequently.
Freemax Galex Pro: Specifications and Features
- Device Type: Refillable pod system with replaceable coils
- Battery Capacity: 800 mAh
- Power Range: 5-25 watts
- Charging Port: USB-C, 800 mA; battery charges in about one hour
- Pod Capacity: 2.0 ml
- Coil Resistance: 0.8 and 1.0 ohm
- Firing Style: Both draw-activated and button-activated firing
- Supported Vaping Modes: Wattage-based vaping
- The Freemax Galex Pro is a pod system with a mesh coil from the company that invented the mesh coil tank. That fact alone should help this device capture plenty of attention from the vaping community.
- Galex coils use high-quality materials such as stainless steel and tea fibre for maximum durability.
- An interactive light panel on the side of the device illuminates in different colours as you vape. You can also disable the panel if you prefer.
- The Galex pod uses an elongated shape for its airflow channels and has cotton pads at the bottom of each channel to absorb condensation. These features help to prevent leaking.
- The Galex Pro automatically suggests the ideal wattage when it detects that you’ve installed a new coil. Full wattage adjustments are also available.
- The Galex Pro has a built-in puff counter that automatically resets itself after six hours of no vaping.
This Could Be the Freemax Galex Pro’s Most Important Feature
The Freemax Galex Pro is certain to generate plenty of hype simply based on the fact that it’s the first major release in the pod category from the inventor of the mesh coil tank. Arguably, though, the most revolutionary feature of this device is the self-resetting puff counter.
Vape mods have had built-in puff counters for years. If you’re completely honest, though, have you ever actually used one for more than a couple of days? It’s unlikely. You probably tried but gave up after continually forgetting to reset the counter when you got up in the morning. A puff counter can be an extremely useful feature if you want to monitor how much you vape or reduce your daily nicotine intake. It’s completely useless, though, if you forget to reset it at the start of each day.
With the Freemax Galex Pro, you can finally have a device with a puff counter that resets itself for you. In hindsight, this feature is so obvious that it’s a wonder why companies didn’t begin implementing it years ago.
What Coils Work with the Freemax Galex Pro?
The Freemax Galex Pro works with two different types of coils. Each coil is available in two resistances, giving you four coil options in all. As you might expect from Freemax, all four coils have mesh heating surfaces.
- GX Coil (0.8 or 1.0 ohm): Optimised to provide a balanced vaping experience with long coil life.
- GX-P Coil (0.8 or 1.0 ohm): Optimised to provide bigger clouds and bolder flavours.
How to Use the Freemax Galex Pro
Are you new to vaping? No problem. In this section of our Freemax Galex Pro review, we’ll provide some brief instructions to walk you through getting up and running with this device.
How to Charge the Freemax Galex Pro
To charge the Freemax Galex Pro, connect it to your computer using the included USB-C cable. When the Galex Pro charges, the screen shows a battery indicator. When the indicator is full, the battery is fully charged.
How to Fill the Freemax Galex Pro
To fill the Freemax Galex Pro, pull the mouthpiece up while wiggling it side to side until it comes off. When the mouthpiece is removed, you’ll see the filling port slightly offset from the centre airflow chimney. Add vape juice through the port until the pod is nearly full to the top. Replace the mouthpiece.
Note that you can only fill the Galex Pro pod when a coil is installed. If you’ve just installed a new coil or are filling your device for the first time, let the pod stand for several minutes before vaping.
How to Vape with the Freemax Galex Pro
To use the Galex Pro, start by pressing the fire button five times if the device isn’t turned on already. After turning the device on, you can vape by holding the fire button or by simply puffing on the mouthpiece.
The Galex Pro uses a single fire button as its interface. By pressing the button different numbers of times, you can access all of the device’s commands. Here’s what you need to know.
- Press the fire button two times to cycle between the device’s different lighting effects or to turn the light off.
- Press the fire button three times to enter the wattage adjustment mode. While in this mode, tap the button to change the wattage. Confirm your selection by waiting three seconds.
- Press the fire button four times to disable button-activated firing and switch the Galex Pro to puff-activated firing only.
How to Replace the Freemax Galex Pro Coil
To replace the coil in your Freemax Galex Pro, remove the pod from the device and turn it upside down. Grip the base of the installed coil and pull it straight up to remove the coil. Push the new coil into the opening, ensuring that the flat sections on the coil’s base align with the flat sections of the pod’s opening. If the coil isn’t correctly aligned, you won’t be able to push it in all the way.
You should replace the coil in the Freemax Galex Pro only when the pod is empty beause removing the coil will cause any e-liquid in the pod to spill out.
How to Fix Problems with the Freemax Galex Pro
The Freemax Galex Pro includes an instruction manual that explains how to use the device but lacks any troubleshooting information that you can use if the device isn’t working as you expect. In this section of our review, we’ll correct that by explaining what you should do if your Galex Pro encounters a problem.
Freemax Galex Pro Not Charging
If you don’t see a battery indicator on the screen when you connect the Freemax Galex Pro to a power source, the device isn’t charging. Here’s what you should do to fix this problem.
- Try using a different charging cable. If the cable that you’re using is damaged – which is common – this will resolve the problem.
- Try using a different power source. A vaping device almost always charges best through a computer. Mains chargers – especially ones included with computers, tablets and mobile phones – use higher-amperage currents that may cause a vaping device to overheat.
- Make sure that the Galex Pro’s charging port is clean. If the port is full of dust or pocket lint, clean the port with a thin nonmetal tool.
Freemax Galex Pro Not Working
If your Freemax Galex Pro isn’t working when you try to use it, the first thing that you should do is check the screen for an icon signifying an error. If you see an error notification, scroll down to find out what it means. If you don’t see an icon, follow these general troubleshooting steps.
- Make sure that the Galex Pro is charged and turned on. Press the fire button five times to turn the Galex Pro on and off.
- Remove the pod and make sure that the coil is installed properly. Remember that the coil’s flat edges need to align with the flat sides in the pod’s opening. If the coil isn’t aligned properly, you won’t be able to push it all the way in.
- Check under the pod for leaked e-liquid. If the chamber under the pod is wet, remove all of the e-liquid with a paper towel and try using the device again. Scroll down to the next section to learn how to prevent the pod from leaking in the future.
Freemax Galex Pro Leaking
The unique design of the Freemax Galex pod goes a long way toward ensuring that the pod won’t leak. It’s still possible for the pod to leak, though, if you’re still learning how to vape and make a mistake with the device. Here’s what you should do to ensure that your device won’t leak in the future.
- Pay attention to how firmly you puff when vaping. To see how hard you should puff, try using the Galex Pro’s puff-activated vaping mode. Puff gently on the mouthpiece and increase the air pressure slowly until the light turns on. That’s how much air pressure you should use when vaping.
- Don’t overfill the pod. If you add too much e-liquid to the Galex Pro pod, you’ll push vape juice out of the pod when you replace the mouthpiece.
- Make sure that the coil is pushed in all the way. Remember that you can’t install the pod fully unless the flat sides are aligned properly.
Freemax Galex Pro Errors
If the Galex Pro isn’t working, the screen may display an icon indicating what the problem is.
- If you see a rectangular circuit or battery icon with an exclamation point or a diagonal strikethrough, these errors indicate a short circuit, an open circuit or an atomizer coil resistance that doesn’t fall within the expected range. In all of these cases, you should check for a leak and confirm that the coil is installed properly as described above. If the issue persists, install a new coil.
- If you see a battery icon with a single bar, it means that the battery’s charge level is too low for continued vaping. Charge the battery.
- If you see an octagonal icon with “8S” in the middle, it means that you’ve puffed on the Galex Pro for longer than eight seconds and exceeded the device’s automatic puff limiter. Take shorter puffs.
Freemax Galex Pro Review: Final Thoughts
The Freemax Galex Pro might be the ideal pod mod to buy right now. It offers excellent flavour and vapour production and can deliver a satisfying experience with a wide range of e-liquids including both nicotine salt and higher-strength freebase vape juice. It deftly straddles the line between subtlety and flashiness, even going so far as to include a light show that you can disable.
The truly revolutionary feature of the Galex Pro, though – and it’s one that few review sites have noticed – is the puff counter that automatically resets itself when you don’t use the device for six hours. This unheralded feature is going to make the Galex Pro an absolute must-buy vaping device for anyone who has ever tried to use a puff counter to control or reduce their nicotine intake because it’s the first one that you don’t have to remember to reset. If you’ve ever wanted a vaping device that can actually help you monitor your vaping, the Freemax Galex Pro is the device you need.
- Mesh coil pod system from the company that invented the mesh coil tank
- Stainless steel and tea fibre combine to provide excellent coil life when used with unsweetened e-liquid
- Maze airflow pattern and cotton pads help to contain condensation and prevent leaks
- Puff counter automatically resets after six hours of no vaping
- Not for cloud chasers
- Doesn’t have adjustable airflow